You’ve probably had your fill of Bajan Macaroni Pie & Flying Fish, so now it’s time to try something different. For some Bajans, there’s nothing like hanging out with friends, playing dominoes and enjoying some Pudding n’ Souse on a Saturday afternoon. What exactly is Pudding n’ Souse you ask? Well it’s pickled pork and the “pudding” is a mash of steamed sweet potatoes mixed with seasoning.
Here’s our recipe for the Bajan dish.
To make the Souse, you’ll need:
- 2 pounds of pork shoulder, cut into bite-sized pieces
- One large onion, finely chopped
- Two large cucumbers, grated
- Scotch bonnet red peppers, finely chopped
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1-2 bunches of fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- Add pork, water and salt to the pot, and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes, or until the pork is tender.
- Once cooked, remove the pork from the pot and place it in a plastic bowl to cool.
- Now it’s time for the pickle. In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients, with salt to taste.
- Take the cooked pork and mix it in with the pickle.
- Let it steep for about 2 hours before serving.
To make the Pudding, you’ll need:
- 3 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled & grated
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- Small piece of scotch bonnet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of Bajan seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
- Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl until thoroughly blended.
- Grease a shallow ovenproof dish and fill it with the pudding mixture.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350° F for 30-45 minutes.
- Let the pudding cool before serving.
Sometimes, Pudding n’ Souse is also served with diced pickled breadfruit on the side. If you’re not in the mood of making this delicacy yourself but still want to try some, there are a number of popular spots where you can get some – just ask any Bajan.
Have you tried Pudding n’ Souse before? Leave us a comment and let us know what you thought about it. We’d love to hear from you.